Multiple updates from Superintendent Dr. Zywicki, including:
- Response to Intervention (RTI) Action Plan
- 120 Advanced Placement exams administered – high number given amount of students in district
- Google Expeditions Pioneer Program came to Theodore Roosevelt School (TRS) May 18 and provided Virtual Reality (VR) field trips
- Partnership formed with Stevens Institute of Technology, which will provide: professional development for all Weehawken science and math teachers; engineering program at Daniel Webster School (DWS); coding and engineering design principles instruction at TRS; assistance with robotics program at High School.
- District to take in student teachers from St Peters and New Jersey City University (NJCU)
- Roosevelt 6AT Students won 1st Place in Hudson County Gifted and Talented Bowl
- Food services program ranked as #11 in state by niche.com
- Student Advisory Committee formed, to meet monthly; student committees to also meet with each Principal
- Last day of school for DWS and TRS will be June 22; June 20, 21, 22 will be one session days, aftercare to be provided.
- Last day of school for High School will be June 23.
President Barsa – waiver of town indemnification for child bicyclists has been rescinded. However, town will not be responsible for damage to bicycles while parked at bike rack.
Further updates, prompted by community member questions:
– Music program
- TRS Teacher Donna Hochhauser will continue Bell choir and chorus, will add choral program at High School
- District is looking to hire instrumental teacher for TRS
– Civic engagement
- The District is working to reinstate Kid’s Network News program as an academic course, pending acquisition of Federal Perkin grants in 2016-17
- The District is working to develop and implement a required civic course to begin in 2017-18 at WHS, which will provide opportunities for internships in local, state and federal government, as well as, a capstone citizenship “boot camp” project
Next meeting: May 17